6.11.2006

The Always Predictable Conclusion


What Kane really needed was a sweet pilot name, like 'Maverick' or 'Iceman'

When I concluded my Security Aviation story last month, I left with the assumption that Kane was going to go up on charges as a public scapegoat for the company, and that he would end up doing minimal time, as a mere formality. My opinion of the case was that Kane was definitely doing something unscrupulous with his fleet of military jets but was being given a blind eye, if not a helping hand, by uncle Sam. The whole bust had the feeling of being a mistake in communication between levels of government, an embarrassing oversight, to be quickly glossed over and forgotten.

Given the nature of the case, even with its amazingly low profile of late, I was shocked to hear that the jury found Rob Kane and Security Aviation not guilty on all charges relating to the two rocket launchers. Sort of what I imagined, but without even a symbolic punishment. Fitting, for a story titled 'Lords of War in Alaska' that the case would have such a similar conclusion to the film.

I can just picture Rob Kane now, reciting those last few lines from the film. Telling the federal prosecutor "Here's how this is going to go..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home